Friday, May 8, 2009

English Department Luncheon

After talking with my colleagues, I’ve come to the conclusion that the English Department needs more intradepartmental activities, especially at the beginning of the year. The only introduction new students (of both grad and undergrad caliber) get to a faculty member is on the first day of that instructor’s class. There are no mixers, luncheons, picnics, etc. that allow us to mingle, find common interests, or chat. I find it unfortunate that the only instructors in the department I know are those I’ve taken classes with, and that is a sorry fraction of the faculty even after having been here three semesters.

English department GAs receive some modicum of welcome from a portion of the faculty during the first day of orientation. This is not nearly sufficient. For one, only a handful of the faculty are present for the orientation. For two, only the GAs attend that orientation. For three, the greeting, while genuine and warm, introduces rarely more than a name and area of interest of the faculty present. The current means of learning about faculty interests and pedagogical styles is through the percolation of word-of-mouth; I’m sure students would much prefer to have a soirée.

In addition to serving as a basis for introduction between students and faculty, intradepartmental activities are community building. Returning students can meet and chat with new students. At the present, there are few opportunities provided by the department for students to coalesce. I want to sip cocktails and discuss Henry Jenkins. I want to eat chips and ponder Paulo Freire. I want to grill and discuss literature. And I know I am not alone.

**Disclaimer: If there are such intradepartmental gatherings, they are not nearly well publicized enough.

1 comment:

  1. I have express a few of the articles on your website now, and I really like your style of blogging. I added it to my favorite’s blog site list and will be checking back soon… webstagram

    ReplyDelete